Storing your RV in the winter is one of the most important pieces to properly taking care of it. Cold weather is incredibly dangerous to recreational vehicles, which is why we offer free RV storage in the winter when you purchase an RV with us.
Since your RV is likely to be sitting during the cold months of the year, you will need to make sure that it is in tip top shape when you are ready to use it again. Our free RV storage gives you a place to put it, but there will be things you must do first. Here is a list of things to check:
- Prepare Refrigerator– One of the first things you should do is defrost the freezer and clean the fridge. When this area is not used, it can begin to stink, but by leaving the doors open and and keeping baking soda inside, this will help circulate air through it and absorb any odors that may arise.
- Turn Off Power– You will not want to leave the main breaker or any gas appliances on during the winter. Make sure these as well as the gas supply valve are turned off to ensure the safety of your RV while not in use.
- Increase Ventilation– Just like with the refrigerator, when your RV sits in storage, the lack of airflow can cause it to smell. So be sure to crack any overhead vent covers to help move the air. This will also help keep the interior dry to reduce moisture and the appearance of mold and mildew.
- Safeguard Against Rodents– During the cold, mice like to find a warm, dry place to stay, so be sure to do everything you can to keep these pests out of your camper. Search for any small holes where mice could get in and fill them with silicone or expanding foam. You should also remove any and all food and crumbs to further deter pests from making your RV their home.
- Winterize– The most important thing you can do is winterize your RV’s pipes. When the temperature drops low, any remaining water can freeze and cause massive damage to the pipes. So be sure to flush out and drain all of the tanks and pipes and fill them with antifreeze.
Once you have prepared your RV for the winter, we will take care of the rest! Our free RV winter storage is available to all of our customers, so be sure to contact us to reserve your spot! You can also come by our location to find out more about our incredible services and take a look at all of the motorhomes, fifth wheels, travel trailers, and more that we carry!